Re: State of Beta 2

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: State of Beta 2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Network Administrator <netadmin@vcsn.com> writes:
> The abstraction I am talking about would be a logical layer that would handle
> disk I/O including the format of that data (lets call this the ADH).

This sounds good in the abstract, but I don't see how you would define
such a layer in a way that was both thin and able to cope with large
changes in representation.  In a very real sense, "handle disk I/O
including the format of the data" describes the entire backend.  To
create an abstraction layer that will actually give any traction for
maintenance, you'd have to find a way to slice it much more narrowly
than that.

Even if the approach can be made to work, defining such a layer and then
revising all the existing code to go through it would be a huge amount
of work.

Ultimately there's no substitute for hard work :-(