Re: Oracle PL/SQL Anonymous block equivalent in postgres

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Oracle PL/SQL Anonymous block equivalent in postgres
Список pgsql-hackers
Ühel kenal päeval, N, 2005-12-22 kell 18:19, kirjutas Bruce Momjian:
> Ashok Agrawal wrote:
> > Hi ,
> >
> > Here is the requirements :
> >
> > 1. Development & Support team can ONLY have READ Only ACCESS
> >    to PRODUCTION Database. They will NOT have access to create
> >    stored procedure & functions in the PRODUCTION on the fly.
> >
> > 2. During application support, need to write script which
> >    uses procedural language (IF ELSE, AND , OR,  Cursor, Loop etc)
> >    to produce results or identify/fix issues. Number of this kind of
> >    Requests goes in hundreds during Quarter end.
> >
> > Currently on Oracle as long as you have sqlplus read only access,
> > you can write PL/SQL block and get the work done.
> >
> > Since postgres doesn't support procedural language except in
> > stored objects like procedure/functions, how do I achieve in
> > postgres without using stored objects. If this is not possible,
> > then does it make sense to add this requirement into TO-DO list.
>
> So you want to write procedural code on the client.

I guess he rather wants to have dont-save-but-execute-immediately
pl/pgsql code.

could this perhaps be solved by having temporary functions, similar to
postgresql's temporary tables ?

Hannu