Re: Should Oracle outperform PostgreSQL on a complex

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Should Oracle outperform PostgreSQL on a complex
Список pgsql-performance
On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 15:02 +1300, Mark Kirkwood wrote:

> Yeah - the quoted method of "make a cartesian product of the dimensions
> and then join to the fact all at once" is not actually used (as written)
> in many implementations

But it is used in some, which is why I mentioned it.

I gave two implementations, that is just (1)

> - probably for the reasons you are pointing out.
> I found these two papers whilst browsing:
>

> http://www.cs.brown.edu/courses/cs227/Papers/Indexing/O'NeilGraefe.pdf
> http://www.dama.upc.edu/downloads/jaguilar-2005-4.pdf
>

> They seem to be describing a more subtle method making use of join
> indexes and bitmapped indexes.

Which is the option (2) I described.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

От: Greg Stark
Сообщение: Re: Should Oracle outperform PostgreSQL on a complex
Сообщение: Re: Should Oracle outperform PostgreSQL on a complex