Re: 15,000 tables

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: 15,000 tables
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 13:34, Michael Riess wrote:

> >> Of course ... before 8.1 we routinely did a vacuum full analyze each
> >> night. As of 8.1 we use autovacuum.
> >
> > VACUUM FULL was probably always overkill, unless "always" includes
> > versions prior to 7.3...
>
> Well, we tried switching to daily VACUUM ANALYZE and weekly VACUUM FULL,
> but the database got considerably slower near the end of the week.

Generally, this means either your vacuums are too infrequent, or your
fsm settings are too small.

Note that vacuum and analyze aren't "married" any more, like in the old
days.  You can issue either separately, depending on your usage
conditions.

Note that with the newest versions of PostgreSQL you can change the
settings for vacuum priority so that while it takes longer to vacuum, it
doesn't stomp on the other processes toes so much anymore, so more
frequent plain vacuums may be the answer.