Re: Reducing the overhead of NUMERIC data

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Reducing the overhead of NUMERIC data
Re: Reducing the overhead of NUMERIC data  ("Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> > Anybody like to work out a piece of SQL to perform data profiling and
> > derive the distribution of values with trailing zeroes?
>
> Don't forget leading zeroes.  And all-zero (we omit digits entirely in
> that case).  I don't think you can claim that zero isn't a common case.

The question is: how common?

For INTEGERs I would accept that many are often zero. For NUMERIC, these
are seldom exactly zero, IMHO.

This is one of those issues where we need to run tests and take input.
We cannot decide this sort of thing just by debate alone. So, I'll leave
this as a less potentially fruitful line of enquiry.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs