Re: How to use LIKE and $1 in a function ?

От Troy
Тема Re: How to use LIKE and $1 in a function ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> I am learning PostgreSQL with an O'Reilly book and I have a problem
> with functions : I created a very basic function to look for a name in
> a table :

If your reading that book then you're not going to be using INOUT -
which is what I'm learning. But here is how you could do it with inout
in postgres 8.1:

---- ----

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION func1(INOUT var_1 varchar) AS
'
  DECLARE
     X VARCHAR(50);
  BEGIN
     var_1 = var_1 || ''%'';
     SELECT INTO X "Books" FROM  testtable WHERE "Books" LIKE var_1;

   RAISE NOTICE ''found X = %'', X;

     var_1 := X;
  END
'
  LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

SELECT INTO returns first returned row. So if you called "SELECT
func1('P');" you'd get any books starting with the letter P. I'm sure
there are many ways but I hope this helps some.

Troy -