Re: How to cluster Postgresql

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: How to cluster Postgresql
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 11:01, Franck Coppola wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a postgresql database which we would like to clusterize. By
> clusterize, i mean be able to use multiple servers to read and write in
> the database. Simple replication is not enough. (However if you have any
> suggestion for replication which are fit for production environements, i
> would be interested too : i don't feel very confident with slony).
>
> Are there any tools to do this ? (I would prefer opensource, but if
> there is a well proven and affordable commercial app to do it, why
> not).

You are saying that you want multiple servers for read and write, but
you're not saying why you want it.  Since what you're trying to do
dictates what tools you should use to do it, it might help us to answer
your question if you tell us what parameters of your problem have led
you to decide on this particular requirement.  It may well be that there
are the right tools to do this, but I can't really say, because I don't
have enough info.

So, what, exactly, are you going to be doing with this system in terms
of transactional throughput, distributed input, things like that?  What
percentage of your database traffic is input versus output?  Is this
OLTP, or more OLAP?  Would read only replicants of your db help your
users?  etc...