Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Personally I think it's quite unlikely Oracle would try attacking
> any F/OSS project on patent grounds.   They've pretty much bet
> the company on Linux (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5825433.html

Linux isn't a competitor, PostgreSQL is.

> My guess is that Oracle simply recognized that the Innobase guys
> were solid database engineers with a product with a growing customer
> base in a niche (low end databases) that Oracle didn't have a large
> presence.

Oh if the world were that nice. Yes you could be correct but my very
strong opinion on this is that they did it because it can set back
MySQL for 18-24 months.

> Therefore it made sense from both a recruiting and a
> business growth opportunity to acquire them.

Oracle isn't interested in the 395.00 market.

> On those grounds I could certainly see Oracle buying successful
> postgresql-based companies -- again, for both the talented people
> and the proven market for those products.

For people maybe, but they really don't need the database.

Sincerely,
Joshua D. Drake