Re: License question

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: License question
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 09:49, Aaron Smith wrote:

SNIP

> We will not be selling the database software. We may install it for
> them, though. In fact, most of the time, we will be the ones to install
> it, and we charge for that time. Our customers are very aware that we
> did not write it, nor are we selling it. Even if they are to purchase
> SQL Server, they are the ones to purchase it directly, not us. We
> purchase the connectivity kits that we use to connect to the database,
> and then pass that cost on to the customer. It is purchased in their
> name with their information. We do not charge extra or tack on any fees.
> We do it this way so that no screw ups are made… The connectivity kit is
> the one that connects to the database; we connect to the connectivity
> kit through our software.
>
> Knowing all this, what do we need to purchase, what can we do and what
> can’t we do? It’s hard getting a straight answer from anyone that is why
> I am here. If we can’t do it, we won’t. If we can save our customers
> some money while getting them really good options and software, we would
> like to do that. But on the same token, we don’t to do anything unfair
> or illegal.

PostgreSQL is licensed under the BSD license, and, to quote Tom Lane and
a few other developers "You can do anything you want with it, just don't
sue us."

If you have a customer who would want to pay for a commercial version,
it is also available as such from several companies that provide their
own "flavor" of postgresql, usually wrapped up with extra utilities and
what not (i.e. mammoth replicator things like that).  If you have a
customer that is comfortable installing software on their own,
PostgreSQL is quite easy to install.

You might also want to look at firebird SQL server, as it's also pretty
good, and has a feature set that is mostly the same as PostgreSQL, with
some areas for each database that are better than the other.

So, if you want to bundle it with your application, you can.  Create a
CD with your app and postgresql on it, and use a silent install process
to put it on the machine, or let the user do all that if they prefer.