Re: Casting numeric values to double

От Daniel Schregenberger
Тема Re: Casting numeric values to double
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 17:44 +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 03:31:42PM +0200, Daniel Schregenberger wrote:
> > I recently stumbled uppon the following thing:
> > If I compare a field of type "numeric" to a small decimal constant like
> > "3.6", the constant is interpreted as a "double precision" value and the
> > comparison fails with the following message:
> >
> > # SELECT * FROM tr_table_okpx WHERE prating >= 3.6;
> >
> > Unable to identify an operator '>=' for types 'double precision' and
> > 'numeric'
> >         You will have to retype this query using an explicit cast
>
> If at all possible, can the queries be arranged to output single quotes
> around the numbers? If you do that, the choice of type will be deferred
> until the point where it knows what "prating" is.

oh, I didn't think about untyping. I will try this as well, thanks!

> > I'm using Postgre 7.2, which might be a bit outdated but I could not find
> > any information whether this behaviour has changed in newer versions. So
>
> Yeah, it's better in later versions. Either explicitly typing (with
> ::numeric) or explicitly untyping (with single quotes) will work.

well, explicitly typing works in 7.2, I just wondered if that's the way
to go or if newer versions define implicit casts like for example C/C++
does: one operand is double -> the other has to be double too.
As far as I understood it now, it has changed and I will try to upgrade.

Thanks for your help! (Tom as well)

-- Daniel

--
http://www.despite.ch/ -- http://www.npfdd.ch/

Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html

You will obey or molten silver will be poured into your ears.

Вложения