Re: database bloat, but vacuums are done, and fsm seems

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: database bloat, but vacuums are done, and fsm seems
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 09:07 +0200, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> database has quite huge load of updates, but i thought that vacum will
> guard me from database bloat, but from what i observed it means that
> vacuuming of b-tree indices is somewhat faulty.

No, thats perfectly normal.

Indices are packed tighter when they are first created and they spread
out a bit as you update the database. Blocks start at 90% full and end
up at 50% full for non-monotonic indexes (e.g. SERIAL) or 67% for
monotonic.

It's a long debated design feature on any DBMS that uses b-trees.

REINDEX or dump/restore should be identical.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] A Better External Sort?
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] A Better External Sort?