Re: Unixware Patch (Was: Re: Beta2 Tag'd and Bundled ...)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Unixware Patch (Was: Re: Beta2 Tag'd and Bundled ...)
Дата
Re: Unixware Patch (Was: Re: Beta2 Tag'd and Bundled ...)  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Re: Unixware Patch (Was: Re: Beta2 Tag'd and Bundled ...)  (Lee Kindness <lkindness@csl.co.uk>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> On the other hand, things like, getpwnam, strtok, etc have non-thread-safe
> APIs. They can never be made thread-safe. The *_r versions of these functions
> are standardized and required. If they don't exist then the platform simply
> does not support threads.

This statement is simply false.  A platform can build thread-safe
versions of those "unsafe" APIs if it makes the return values point
to thread-local storage.  Some BSDs do it that way.  Accordingly, any
simplistic "we must have _r to be thread-safe" approach is incorrect.