Re: feature proposal ...

От Rod Taylor
Тема Re: feature proposal ...
Дата
Re: feature proposal ...  (Hannu Krosing <hannu@skype.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 19:55 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Rod Taylor wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 15:25 -0700, Trent Shipley wrote:
> >

> >>Wouldn't you also need a CREATE TEMP TABLE privilege but the
> >>COPY TO file USING select_statement
> >>would only need select.  (In other words using a temp table would not seem to
> >>be as secure nor as general as the requested feature.)
> >>

> >Writing a file on the server requires significant privilege, including
> >access to the server itself so you can retrieve the results.
> >

> But we also do COPY to STDOUT which requires no special privileges on
> the server.
>
> Incidentally, if we are going to allow copy out from views, it would be
> nice and orthogonal to allow copy in too. Hasn't there been some talk
> about making automatically writeable views?

Sure. But if you are using STDOUT then why does this need to be a server
side item at all?

You either have code issuing the commands and collecting the results
making a standard select just as fast or you are using psql which
already has multiple display types for SELECT data, including XML
output, but another could easily be added for CSV style output.