Re: Beta2 Wrap Up ...

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: Beta2 Wrap Up ...
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2005-17-09 at 14:47 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Also, the change to pg_cancel_backend breaks backwards compatibility
> with 8.0, which is a whole lot worse than breaking it with 8.1-beta1.

Yeah, I thought about that (and Bruce and I already discussed it offlist
before I committed the changes). The function was newly added in 8.0 --
if we're *ever* going to fix it, fixing it before 8.1 ships is the best
time to do so. I would also guess that (a) not many people are using the
function (b) the changes in client code should be minimal (as you point
out). So IMHO making the API change and noting it in the release notes
was probably best.

> Sure, can be fairly easily recoded with CASE, but... If nothing else
> this needs to go in as a "backwards incompatible change" in the release
> notes.

This is already done.

-Neil