Re: pg_ctl reload breaks our client

От Marc Munro
Тема Re: pg_ctl reload breaks our client
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Michael,
It is Postgres 7.3.6.  The client is a multi-threaded C++ client.  The
breakage was that one group of connections simply stopped.  Others
contined without problem.  It is not clear exactly what was going on.

Nothing in our application logs gives us any clue to this.

As for reproducibility, it has hapenned before in test environments when
we have bounced the datanase.  This is not too shocking as I would
expect the client to notice this :-)  It is a little more shocking when
it's a reload.  Or maybe I have simply misunderstood what reload does.

I am simply looking for clues here and don't expect definitive answers.
That's why I was a little vague.

Am I right though, in thinking that a reload shuold be pretty much
invisible to the client, or will certain operations fail and require a
re-try?

__
Marc

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 14:40 -0600, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 01:28:13PM -0700, Marc Munro wrote:
> > Yesterday a client application broke immediately after we issued a
> > pg_ctl reload command.
>
> How did the client break?  What behavior did it exhibit?  Were there
> any errors in the server's logs?  Can you duplicate the problem?
> What version of PostgreSQL are you using, and on what platform?

Вложения