Re: [DOCS] Re: Re: 7.1 docs

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [DOCS] Re: Re: 7.1 docs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Roberto Mello <rmello@cc.usu.edu> writes:
>     I like the way the Oracle functions are documented, except for the
> fact that they have one huge page for all functions, which is hard on
> those on slow connections reading docs online.
>     They have functions in tables grouped per functionality (e.g. character
> functions that returning character values, character functions returning
> number values) and with each function name (which is all that is in the
> table) is linked to a larger explanation of the function with the complete
> syntax and examples (usually two).

Yes, it'd be cool to have the User's Guide contain the existing function
tables with each entry hotlinked to a more extensive reference entry.
We could eliminate some of the nitty-gritty details from the User's
Guide that way, which I think is good.  I don't want to reduce the
function tables to just names a la Oracle --- I think the tables are
good as they are.  But there are places, such as in the discussion of
the pattern-match functions, where we have reference-page-like material
that doesn't fit very well in the U.G.