Re: ORDER BY and LIMIT not propagated on inherited

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: ORDER BY and LIMIT not propagated on inherited
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 12:20 +0200, Matteo Beccati wrote:
> I'm using inherited tables to partition some data which can grow very
> large. Recently I discovered that a simple query that on a regular table
> would use an index was instead using seq scans (70s vs a guessed 2s).
> The well known query is:
>
> SELECT foo FROM bar ORDER BY foo DESC LIMIT 1
>
> (The same applies for SELECT MIN(foo) FROM bar using 8.1)

Returning to Matteo's original query, what we are saying is that the new
optimization for MIN/MAX queries doesn't work with inherited tables.

It could do, by running optimize_minmax_aggregates() for each query that
gets planned to see if a better plan exists for each child table.

I think that's a TODO item.

Optimizing ORDER BY and LIMIT down looks like it would be harder to do
in the general case, even if Matteo's simple transform looks good. I'm
not sure it's a very common query type though...

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Сообщение: Re: Massive performance issues
Сообщение: Re: Massive performance issues