Re: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core

От Tino Wildenhain
Тема Re: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Am Montag, den 15.08.2005, 10:30 -0700 schrieb Joshua D. Drake:
> Hello,
>
> I have negotiated with the author of pl/Ruby to release plRuby under the
> PostgreSQL license. The reason I did this is the following:
>
> 1. I felt we needed a truly OO language in core.
> 2. plPython isn't really moving forward and has the whole
> trusted/untrusted issue.
>
> Now anyone who knows me, knows that I love Python which means this is
> not a language argument as much as a functionality argument.
>
> Ruby for good or bad is gaining a large following and has become a very
> active language in a short period of time. It can also be trusted and
> untrusted.
>
> I believe that unless plPython can either be fixed or is going to
> continue to move forward as a pl language that we should consider
> deprecating it and even removing it in 8.2 or 8.3.

There is the ply, which is right now working better then pythonu
(it has support for generators for example)

See  http://python.projects.postgresql.org/quick.html

the author is currently also working on the trusted
language issue.

So maybe when the time comes, one option would be to replace
pl/python with this one.