Re: PG8 Tuning

От Mark Lewis
Тема Re: PG8 Tuning
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
(Musing, trying to think of a general-purpose performance-tuning rule
that applies here):

Actually, it seems to me that with the addition of the WAL in PostgreSQL
and the subsequent decreased need to fsync the data files themselves
(only during checkpoints?), that the only time a battery-backed write
cache would make a really large performance difference would be on the
drive(s) hosting the WAL.

So although it is in general good to have a dedicated spindle for the
WAL, for many workloads it is in fact significantly better to have the
WAL written to a battery-backed write cache.  The exception would be for
applications with fewer, larger transactions, in which case you could
actually use the dedicated spindle.

Hmmm, on second thought, now I think I understand the rationale behind
having a non-zero commit delay setting-- the problem with putting
pg_xlog on a single disk without a write cache is that frequent fsync()
calls might cause it to spend most of its time seeking instead of
writing (as seems to be happening to Paul here).  Then again, the OS IO
scheduler should take care of this for you, making this a non-issue.
Perhaps Solaris 10 just has really poor IO scheduling performance with
this particular hardware and workload?

Ah well.  Thought myself in circles and have no real conclusions to show
for it.  Posting anyway, maybe this will give somebody some ideas to
work with.

-- Mark Lewis