Re: Select where id in (LARGE LIST) ?

От Csaba Nagy
Тема Re: Select where id in (LARGE LIST) ?
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
In this case I wouldn't go with a boolean flag, setting it on a row will
actually insert a new row in your table (that's what the updates really
do). Then you're better off with the range approach, and keep your
ranges in memory. I have no idea how big the query can get, I guess it
should be somewhere in the documentation at some chapter dealing with
limitations...

Cheers,
Csaba.

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 11:23, Jasper Potts wrote:
> We are working on a desktop(Swing) application, postgresql is running
> embedded in the application and is hence single user. We have a
> scrollable view of grid of icons much like explorer. The data set is a
> list of item ids resulting from a complex query that can take 30
> seconds. This data set of the query results are stored in table in the
> database. The user then needs to be able to browse(scroll) through the
> list of items and make a selection. Then they can perform operations on
> that selection. Those operations require a way of the selection being
> used in a database query. The options are:
>
> (1)    Store the selection on memory on the client.
> (2)   Store the selection as a column in the query results table
> (boolean maybe)
> (3)    Hybrid solution where the selection is in memory and in the database.
>
> The problem with (1) is how to transfer the selection to the db if it
> gets large. This is where the chunking comes in.
> The problem with the pure selection in the database route(2) is the
> simple selection operations like clicking on an item to select only it.
> Are too slow.
> (3) could be good but is complex to implement with Threading/Locking etc.
>
> My current plan is to go with (1) but change the storage model for the
> selection. The first idea was just a set of ids of selected items,
> problem is if that is 100,000 then is hard to transfer to the WHERE part
> of a query. The new idea is to store it as a list of ranges eg.
> (26-32,143-198,10922-10923) this could then be sent as a "WHERE (row
>  >=26 and row <=32) or (row >=143 and row <=198) or (row >=10922 and row
> <=10923)". As the user has to choose each range by hand it is unlikely
> there could be more than 100 ranges.
>
> The big question here is whats the max length of a query sent though
> JDBC to Postgresql???
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Jasper
>
> Csaba Nagy wrote:
>
> >I don't quite understand what you're doing here, but smells to me for
> >something which shouldn't be interactive in the first place. If some
> >query expectedly exceeds a few seconds, we make the operation
> >asynchronous, i.e. the user starts it, gets a page saying the thing is
> >currently being done, and then he receives some kind of notification
> >when the thing is finished, either on the web page (by periodically
> >reloading) or by email for really long lasting things.
> >Now the chunking method does have an overhead indeed, but it has a set
> >of good properties too: it's easily interruptible, it won't bug your
> >database down (it will let some other things go too between the chunks),
> >and you won't get connection timeouts for really long operations... it's
> >just more manageable in many respects.
> >And if you do have some long lasting things, make sure you won't let the
> >user hit reload 50 times... an asynchronous way of doing it will help in
> [...]

Сообщение: Re: Select where id in (LARGE LIST) ?
Сообщение: Re: Select where id in (LARGE LIST) ?