Re: ORDER BY

От Tino Wildenhain
Тема Re: ORDER BY
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Am Montag, den 25.07.2005, 18:11 -0300 schrieb Marc G. Fournier:
> Just curious as to whether or not a warning or something should be issued
> in a case like:
>
>    SELECT c.*
>      FROM company c, company_summary cs
>     WHERE c.id = cs.id
>       AND cs.detail = 'test'
> ORDER BY cs.fullname;
>
> Unless I'm missing something, the ORDER BY clause has no effect, but an
> EXPLAIN shows it does take extra time, obviously ...

It just does the sorting as you requested. Check the order of
the resulting c.id.

See:
experiment=# SELECT * FROM A;a_id | a_value
------+---------   1 | abc   2 | bcd   3 | def
(3 rows)

experiment=# SELECT * FROM B;b_id | b_value
------+---------   1 | xyz   2 | ijk   3 | abc
(3 rows)

experiment=# SELECT a.* FROM a,b WHERE a.a_id=b.b_id ORDER BY b_value;a_id | a_value
------+---------   3 | def   2 | bcd   1 | abc
(3 rows)

So no reason for warnings :-)