Re: postgres_fdw has insufficient support for large object

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: postgres_fdw has insufficient support for large object
Дата
Re: postgres_fdw has insufficient support for large object  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
"=?gb18030?B?U2FsYWRpbg==?=" <jiaoshuntian@highgo.com> writes:
> The output i expected:
> pg_largeobject_metadata and pg_largeobject in both database A and database
> B should have rows.Shouldn't only in database A.So, i can use large object
> functions
> to operate large_objectin remote table or foreign table.

The big picture here is that Postgres is a hodgepodge of features
that were developed at different times and with different quality
standards, over a period that's now approaching forty years.
Some of these features interoperate better than others.  Large
objects, in particular, are largely a mess with a lot of issues
such as not having a well-defined garbage collection mechanism.
They do not interoperate well with foreign tables, or several
other things, and you will not find anybody excited about putting
effort into fixing that.  We're unlikely to remove large objects
altogether, because some people use them successfully and we're not
about breaking cases that work today.  But they're fundamentally
incompatible with use in foreign tables in the way you expect,
and that is not likely to get fixed.