Re: Text->Date conversion in a WHERE clause

От John D. Burger
Тема Re: Text->Date conversion in a WHERE clause
Дата
Список pgsql-general
You seem to be assuming that conjuncts in the where clause are
processed in order, a la many programming languages (this is sometimes
called "short circuiting").  I don't think this is so in SQL, else many
optimizations would not be possible.  I have even see the planner break
up and rearrange complex disjunction/conjunction combinations.

In your case, I would use a subquery to filter down to rows where the
column in question is interpretable as a date, then do your date
comparison in the outer select.  Thus:

   select *
   from (select * from foo
        where ... conditions to determine whether cust3 is a date ...) as
dateCusts
   where cust3::text::timestamp > CURRENT_DATE - interval '1 month';

- John D. Burger
   MITRE