Re: quote_boolean() and friends missing

От Markus Bertheau ☭
Тема Re: quote_boolean() and friends missing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
В Пнд, 20/06/2005 в 10:01 -0400, Tom Lane пишет:
> Markus Bertheau ☭ <twanger@bluetwanger.de> writes:
> > I'm writing an application with a lot of PL/pgSQL and am constructing
> > SQL queries on the fly. The quote_literal() and quote_ident() functions
> > proved very much needed. Similarly, I need functions that return the SQL
> > representation of all the other datatypes, not just TEXT: quote_boolean
> > (), quote_date() and so on. For the sake of completeness I think these
> > functions should exist. While the use of to_char() resp. decode() for
> > some types is possible, it does feel like a workaround to me. Opinions?
> > Do these functions belong in the PostgreSQL core?
>
> What exactly do you think they would do?  There is no analogy to
> inserting escape characters for those other datatypes.

They would return the SQL representation of a given value.

quote_boolean(TRUE) = 'TRUE'
quote_bytea('\377'::bytea) = '\\377' (literally \377)

Maybe quote_* is not the right name, but the functionality is needed.
I'm currently looking for a way to get the SQL representation of a bytea
value and it looks like I'm going to have to write a C function for
that.

Markus

--
Markus Bertheau ☭ <twanger@bluetwanger.de>

Сообщение: Re: quote_boolean() and friends missing
Сообщение: Re: quote_boolean() and friends missing