Re: mirroring oracle database in pgsql

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: mirroring oracle database in pgsql
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 14:52, Edward Peschko wrote:
> hey all,
>

> I'm trying to convince some people here to adopt either mysql or postgresql
> as a relational database here.. However, we can't start from a clean slate;
> we have a very mature oracle database that applications point to right now,
> and so we need a migration path. I went to the mysql folks, and it looks
> like its going to be quite a while before mysql is up to the task, so I
> thought I'd try pgsql.

If you've been using Oracle, PostgreSQL is likely to be a much better
fit.  MySQL's tendency to silently do stupid things (create a table as
innodb, but spell it innobd, it will make an isam table and not tell
you.  insert data, roll back, find out that you can't roll back, the
list goes on and on.) and lack of features you likely take for granted
in Oracle will likely make Postgresql the better fit.

You might want to look at either CJDBC or Daffodil for what you're
thinking of.  I'm not sure how well they'll work in a mixed environment,
but they seem to be the leaders in client side clustering.