Re: Whence the Opterons?

От Richard Rowell
Тема Re: Whence the Opterons?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
I will second the nod to Penguin computing.  We have a bit of Penguin
hardware here (though the majority is Dell).  We did have issues with
one machine a couple of years ago, but Penguin was very pro-active in
addressing that.

We recently picked up a Dual Opteron system from them and have been very
pleased with it so far.

I would be careful of the RHES that it ships with though.  We had
machine lockups immediately after the suggested  kernel update (had to
down grade manually).  Also, the RH supplied Postgres binary has issues,
so you would need to compile Postgres yourself until the next RH update.

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 14:39 -0700, Mischa Sandberg wrote:
> After reading the comparisons between Opteron and Xeon processors for Linux,
> I'd like to add an Opteron box to our stable of Dells and Sparcs, for comparison.
>
> IBM, Sun and HP have their fairly pricey Opteron systems.
> The IT people are not swell about unsupported purchases off ebay.
> Anyone care to suggest any other vendors/distributors?
> Looking for names with national support, so that we can recommend as much to our
> customers.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
Richard Rowell
richard@bowmansystems.com