Re: Consumer-grade vs enterprise-grade disk drives

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Consumer-grade vs enterprise-grade disk drives
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On T, 2005-05-31 at 17:08 +1200, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Luke Lonergan wrote:
> > Tom,
> >
> > This is a story that is evolving.  Anyone else use StorageReview?  Great
> > comprehensive drive benchmarks:
> >   http://www.storagereview.com/
> >
> > Check the comparisons between 15K RPM SCSI drives and the 2004 Western
> > Digital 10K RPM SATA (Raptor) drives.  The Raptors are an interesting hybrid
> > of SCSI-related tech and desktop tech, and were some of the first drives
> > with SCSI-like command queuing TCQ/NCQ.
> >
> > I think the last remaining issue in moving to SATA for all enterprise use is
> > the lack of decent SATA controllers, though 3Ware (http://www.3ware.com) is
> > getting there:
> >   http://www.3ware.com/link/pdf/Serial-ATA.pdf
> >   http://www.3ware.com/products/benchmarks_sata.asp
> >

> Although the benchmark numbers are pretty good, they have only published
> (what looks like) results for sequential IO. It would be interesting to
> see the random ones, as this would tell us how effective the TCQ
> implementation is.
> RAID10

The following are from iozone results for 3Ware with 8 x WD 74G Raptors
on 1.6GHz Opteron and 2GB RAM

RAID10

"Throughput report Y-axis is type of test X-axis is number of processes"
"Record size = 8 Kbytes "
"Output is in ops/sec"
"  Initial write "    1352.90
"        Rewrite "     413.31
"           Read "     369.01
"        Re-read "     368.07
"   Reverse Read "     355.94
"    Stride read "     358.01
"    Random read "     358.29
" Mixed workload "     360.55
"   Random write "     359.80

RAID5

"Throughput report Y-axis is type of test X-axis is number of processes"
"Record size = 8 Kbytes "
"Output is in ops/sec"
"  Initial write "    1178.55
"        Rewrite "     145.91
"           Read "     369.06
"        Re-read "     364.37
"   Reverse Read "     357.83
"    Stride read "     357.79
"    Random read "     358.04
" Mixed workload "     359.70
"   Random write "     360.62

Seems to have either very low overhead for RAID5 or something else is
keeping RAID10 speed down.

--
Hannu Krosing <hannu@skype.net>