Re: OID vs overall system performances on high load

От: Andrew McMillan
Тема: Re: OID vs overall system performances on high load
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

OID vs overall system performances on high load  ("Eric Lauzon", )
 Re: OID vs overall system performances on high load  (Andrew McMillan, )
 Re: OID vs overall system performances on high load  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: OID vs overall system performances on high load  (Neil Conway, )

On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 16:17 -0400, Eric Lauzon wrote:
> I am still in the dark due to my lack of knowledge on internal OID management,but
> i would presume that a table with OID enable and that has high load would require
> some more work from pgsql internal to maintain the OID index for the database.
>
> So OID can be beneficial on static tables, or tables that you want to be able to manipulate
> with pgadmin X , but can a table without OID increase performances on insert,delete,update,COPY?
>
> I am not really worried about disk space that an OID collumn can take, but i was wandering if an
> insert in a table of 20 millions and more that has oid would slow the insert process. Since OID seem
> to act as a global index mabey maintaning that index can become costy over high table load by postgresql
> backend.

There is no OID index, unless you create one.

The disk space that an OID column can take has an effect on performance:
reducing the amount of physical disk reads will mean that more of your
real data is cached, and so forth.  How much effect it will have will
depend on the relative size of the OID column and the other columns in
your data.

Regards,
                    Andrew McMillan.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
               http://survey.net.nz/ - any more questions?

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: OID vs overall system performances on high load
Сообщение: Re: OID vs overall system performances on high load