Re: pointers to sql standard, or "most common" sql?

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: pointers to sql standard, or "most common" sql?
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 12:18, Mark Harrison wrote:
> So, I was trying to figure out which was close to standard sql:
>
>      select * from foo limit 10
> or
>      set rowcount 10 select * from foo
>
> and couldn't find much relevant information via google.
>
> Is the sql standard on the web, and is there some document
> about the syntax variations between sybase, oracle,
> mysql, and postgresql?

Do a search for sql1992.txt and you can find the review drafts laying
about the net like so many old socks in a bachelor's apartment.

As for the limit syntax, it simply isn't part of the SQL 1992 spec.
You're expected to use cursors I guess.

So, of course, EVERY database implements it just a little bit
different.  I think it was more a case of all the different interests in
the SQL 92 committee not being able to agree than disagreeing with the
idea of limit.