Re: Shared memory and FreeBSD's jail()

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Shared memory and FreeBSD's jail()
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 10:49, lister wrote:
> Scott Marlowe wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 09:46, lister wrote:
> >

> >> At the BSDCan tutorial last week on jails (and several other times)
> >>there was discussion regarding Postgres's use of system V style
> >>shared memory, and an unfortunate side effect of making jail() less
> >>secure. Specifically, to allow Postgres to operate in a jail()ed
> >>environment, the sysctl :
> >>jail.sysvipc_allowed=1
> >> has to be set. This allows ALL jails to access the memory, at the least
> >>leaving Postgres open to attack, at the worst allowing a door into who
> >>knows what security breach.
> >> Question : is there any way to run Postgres securely in a jail?
> >>

> >I'm note sure that this is an actual security issue.  Assuming that the
> >processes running each jail are running under a different UID, they
> >shouldn't be anymore able to access each other's shared memory than they
> >would be able to share each others files.
> >

>  In a strict definition of 'issue' you may be right (I am not a
> security officer) but speaing from a practically perspective :
>  1) One of the purposes of jail is to contain a breach, making a
> compromised server a matter of restoring a directory, not a
> system rebuild. A break-in is often not the result of one
> software fault, but a set of steps. If one jail is rooted, the
> postgres jail can be abused.
>  2) Many hosting companies use jail() to deliver a pseudo
> machine to customers, with root privs. This effectively bars
> postgres from this senerio.
>  This was the topic of 20 minutes of conversation in 2 tutorials
> at BSDCan.

Ahh, ok.  Seems to me the bug here is that jails can't provide localized
shared memory implementations.  If jails provided local virtual shared
memory, there would be no problem.

But the real solution to me is to move right on to actual server
virtualization.  There are quite a number of open source virtualization
projects out there, and once they reach maturity, I would use them.  Til
then, someone might want to fix the jail implementation to enclose the
shared memory it uses in something similar to the rest of the jail.