[Fwd: Re: Trigger Procedures]

От Steve Tucknott
Тема [Fwd: Re: Trigger Procedures]
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Josh,
(Apologies that this reply went to you direct, rather than the list. I tend to
use reply and on this list, that just goes to the sender...)

Thanks for the reply.
I am aware that NEW/OLD are automatically available - hence the opening
paragraph of my mail.
I think my real question is is 'what can be passed as an argument into a
trigger procedure?'. The documentation doesn't really say that much
apart from the argument array is a text array.

Maybe I can explain a bit better.
We have a generic procedure that takes table names, record numbers and
text and then creates an audit. There is a trigger automatically created
for each table that needs to be audited. Under Informix (this is a
legacy procedure that is being converted), I can pass NEW into the
generic function - so I can have different 'named' fields being passed.
In the generic function the names of the passed fields (ie the variable
names) becomes static. IE if the trigger is on table A I pass field A,
if on table B I pass field B (both being same data type). In the generic
procedure this passed parameter is mapped to a variable called
'inputField'. So my procedure doesn't have to worry that in reality
inputField is field A or field B and I can use simple statements like
INSERT INTO auditTable VALUES(inputField.......
Using PostGreSQL (7.4.5) it appear that I cannot pass NEW fields into
the generic function - so it means that the function has to become
'aware' of the source. IE the procedure now has to do 'if the trigger
source table is table A then use NEW.fieldA ...... if the trigger source
table is table B then use NEW.fieldB ...... etc'.

Is that the only way I can go about this or is there something that I've
missed on the arguments passed to a trigger procedure?

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 20:32, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Steve,
>
> > At the moment, I can't seem to pass the NEW values into trace_actions.
> > Similarly, as trace_actions is a common process, I have no way of
> > knowing whether NEW contains 'sourceDetRecNo' or 'sourceDetProdRecNo'
> > (unless I case the table name)
>
> You don't pass NEW and OLD as parameters.  They are automatically available
> inside the trigger procedure.
>
> --
> --Josh
>
> Josh Berkus