Re: Data Modelling Tools

От Mark Borins
Тема Re: Data Modelling Tools
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Sorry, I should have also specified that we are looking for a tool where we
can save the schema externally.  Then take that schema and have the tool
compare it to a database and generate a change script.

So the process would be to maintain database structure in a tool.
Be able to save the schema.
Then have the tool compare the schema to an existing database and generate a
SQL change script to update the database model.

I am not an expert user of pgadmin, but my understanding is that it lets you
maintain a particular database, but does not have facilities for comparing
schemas and generating change scripts, etc.

From: Matthew Terenzio [mailto:matt@jobsforge.com]
Sent: May 9, 2005 5:48 PM
To: Mark Borins
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Data Modelling Tools

these are among some popular tools, the second being web based.

http://www.pgadmin.org/

http://phppgadmin.sourceforge.net/

On May 9, 2005, at 5:35 PM, Mark Borins wrote:
Postgres Newsgroup,

My company has been looking for a good database modelling tool for postgres
and have yet to find something that completely satisfies our needs.  We are
currently using a product called DBWrench which is pretty good and has all
the features we are looking for but is full of bugs and creates much head
ache.

For example, this tool doesn’t realize that in postgres you can’t add a
column and set not null in one ALTER TABLE statement.  So we are forced to
manually comb through the SQL scripts it creates and fix the buggy
statements.

So my question is, postgres general newsgroup, what database modelling tools
do you use?  Open source or commercial it doesn’t matter to me.

Thank you,
Mark