Re: The documentation for READ COMMITTED may be incomplete or wrong

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: The documentation for READ COMMITTED may be incomplete or wrong
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> writes:
> On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 8:57 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> +    * Initialize per-relation EPQ tuple states.  Result relations, if any,
> +    * get marked as blocked; others as not-fetched.

> Would it be helpful to clarify that "blocked" means blocked for a
> given EvalPlanQual() cycle?

Probably best to put that with the data structure's comments.  I changed
those to look like

    /*
     * relsubs_done[scanrelid - 1] is true if there is no EPQ tuple for this
     * target relation or it has already been fetched in the current scan of
     * this target relation within the current EvalPlanQual test.
     */
    bool       *relsubs_done;

    /*
     * relsubs_blocked[scanrelid - 1] is true if there is no EPQ tuple for
     * this target relation during the current EvalPlanQual test.  We keep
     * these flags set for all relids listed in resultRelations, but
     * transiently clear the one for the relation whose tuple is actually
     * passed to EvalPlanQual().
     */
    bool       *relsubs_blocked;

> BTW, I didn't quite understand why EPQ involving resultRelations must
> behave in this new way but not the EPQ during LockRows?

LockRows doesn't have a bug: it always fills all the EPQ tuple slots
it's responsible for, and it doesn't use EvalPlanQual() anyway.
In the name of simplicity I kept the behavior exactly the same for
callers other than nodeModifyTable.

Perhaps replication/logical/worker.c could use a closer look here.
It's not entirely clear to me that the EPQ state it sets up is ever
used; but if it is I think it is okay as I have it here, because it
looks like those invocations always have just one result relation in
the plan, so there aren't any "extra" result rels that need to be
blocked.