Re: Good Books

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: Good Books
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 08:41, postgresql@bryden.co.za wrote:
> Hi Bruno
>
> There are a lot of the topics that I feel could have better (or more
> comprehensive examples). In particular I am thinking of plpgsql. One
> example is information about working with Exceptions (postgresql specific)
> and another is the small amount of info about the RAISE Statement.
>
> Refering to my mention of exceptions above, the following is information
> that I could not find in the standard docs:
> How to use(Return using RAISE) the actual exception code and message once
> you have handled the error. This is especially usefull if you have used
> WHEN OTHERS to catch the error.

To be honest, you're not going to find any books covering that because
the code is just too new to have been in the pipeline for any of the
books currently in print. The only one I can think of that might have
something is Korry Douglas's PostgreSQl 2nd Edition that I have heard
has some expanded information on plpgsql, though I haven't read it so I
can't verify that for you (read that as don't buy that book based on the
above... but see if you can find it and verify the above).

I think the only other book that is soon to be out is Begining Databases
with PostgreSQL book from Apress, but I know it doesn't have that deep a
level of what your looking for on that topic. Of the other books I know
about in the works... some of them could include that kind of info
maybe, but they wont be out till summer at the earliest and more likely
the end of the year.

Of course this assumes you can do it at all ;-)

Robert Treat