Re: prelimiary performance comparison pgsql vs mysql

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: prelimiary performance comparison pgsql vs mysql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Also, a 32-bit machine can only hold so much RAM. If I'm correct, there
> are ways to address more memory than that on a 32 bit machine, but I
> wonder at what cost? In other words, is it a good idea to address more
> than 4GB on a 32 bit machine? If not, is it a reasonable choice to
> invest in 64 bit if you want >4GB of RAM? Or are you better off just
> spending the money on RAID and staying at 4GB?

It entirely depends on the database but not that the 32bit limit of 4GB
is per CPU. So if you have 4 CPUs you can have 16GB of ram.

However, you should be running Opterons anyway.

> Regards,
>     Jeff Davis
>
> PS: A minor typo in "Disk and WAL" -> "checkpoint_segments":
> s/Depening/Depending/

Command Prompt, Inc., Your PostgreSQL solutions company. 503-667-4564
Custom programming, 24x7 support, managed services, and hosting
Open Source Authors: plPHP, pgManage, Co-Authors: plPerlNG
Reliable replication, Mammoth Replicator - http://www.commandprompt.com/