Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?

От Keith C. Perry
Тема Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Quoting "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>:

> >The only additional thing I would add to this if it hasn't been mentioned
> >already is that 2000 had/has some major security issues and even though 2003
> is
> >more secure out of the box from what I've experienced so far, I would
> **never**
> >trust a windows box to anything other than my LAN using private IP blocks
> and if
> >it has inbound access via a public IP then it would more certainly be
> behind
> >another firewall that is NAT'ing/Port Forwarding its traffic.
> >

> Nobody should ever put a server regardless of OS on a public IP.
> It should always be firewalled/Nat/Port Forwarding.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

> --
> Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC and S/JDBC
> Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
> +1-503-667-4564 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
> PostgreSQL Replicator -- production quality replication for PostgreSQL

As with all things technology there is an art too it as well- several ways
to do things.  I don't, for instance, NAT/Port forward public interfaces for
Linux hosts because in my experience they can be hardened without much ambiguity
to be placed there.  Similarly, I don't feel the same is true with most of the
windows variants so for security sake increased an network complexity is justified.

My point is that along with the performance issues this thread has point out,
data security is another reason to consider a non-windows platform to run your
production database.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications