Re: Load Distributed Checkpoints, revised patch

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Load Distributed Checkpoints, revised patch
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
"Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> checkpoint_maxpages would seem like a better name; we've already had
> those _maxpages settings for 3 releases, so changing that is not really
> an option (at so late a stage).

Sure it is.  We've never promised stability of obscure tuning settings.
For something as commonly set from-an-application as, say, work_mem
(nee sort_mem), it's worth worrying about backward compatibility.
But not for things that in practice would only be set from
postgresql.conf.  It's never been possible to just copy your old .conf
file without any thought when moving to a new release.