Re: PostgreSQL Replication

От Csaba Nagy
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Replication
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Dieter,

Slony is the most active replication project and it looks like it is the
most used lately, but if it is the best for you depends on what you
need, as there's no "one size fits all" replication solution.
If you want master-slave asynchronous replication with only one master
and few possibly cascaded slaves, with the capability of take-over in
case of a failure, then slony is a good choice.
But if you want a multi-master or synchronous replication, slony is not
providing that. So it all depends on your needs.
In short: slony is good for keeping a hot backup, it can greatly help on
server upgrade (it can replicate between different versions of
postgres), but it will not keep the slaves completely in sync with the
master, there will always be a time gap between the data, and it will
not help distributing update load. Distributing select load is possible
if you're ok with the possible time gap of the slaves against the
current data. The slaves will be consistent though in terms of
transactionality.

HTH,
Csaba.