Re: random record from small set

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: random record from small set
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks very much for the information. I had very similar results on my
machine. I will take your advice and use the double-precision values,
since it doesn't affect the probability significantly anyway. As far as
the constraint trigger, I will see if it becomes a problem before I
worry about its performance. As far as whether those values add up to
1.0, I'll just check to make sure it's fairly close to 1.0 :)

The only real difference that I saw was that I didn't notice much
difference if the underlying table's chance attribute was double
precision vs. numeric. I used your generate_series()-based query.

Perhaps that was because I was using ALTER TABLE to modify r1's "chance"
attribute. One thing that I noticed there was that I had to CREATE OR
REPLACE the plpgsql function for that to work. Perhaps it was a bug?
Here's a test case:

test=# create table t1(i int);
CREATE TABLE
test=# insert into t1 values(1);
INSERT 17775 1
test=# create or replace function err() returns int as $$ DECLARE accum
double precision := 0.0; row record; BEGIN FOR row IN SELECT i FROM t1
LOOP accum := accum + row.i; END LOOP; RETURN row.i; END; $$ language
plpgsql;
CREATE FUNCTION
test=# insert into t1 values(2); INSERT 17778 1
test=# select err();
 err
-----
   2
(1 row)
test=# alter table t1 alter column i type numeric;
ALTER TABLE
test=# select err();
 err
-----
  10
(1 row)

And if you keep playing around with the type and values you can get
other errors like:
ERROR:  type "double precision" value out of range: underflow
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "err" line 1 at assignment
Or:
ERROR:  invalid memory alloc request size 4294967290
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "randrec" line 7 at assignment

If any more information would be helpful someone let me know. It looks a
little like a bug; perhaps we should throw an error when dependent
functions are called after the underlying types have changed? Or I
suppose if we can recognize that, it might as well recompile the
function and proceed without error.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis