Re: find next in an index

От Neil Dugan
Тема Re: find next in an index
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 21:47 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 14:03:02 +1100,
>   Neil Dugan <postgres@butterflystitches.com.au> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am trying to find out how to get the next record according to a
> > particular index.
> > I have a table with a name field and a serial field.  The name field
> > isn't unique so I made an index on name(varchar) & serialno(bigserial).
> > I also have an index just on 'name'.  I am having trouble working out
> > the syntax for the query.
> >
> > select * from table where name>='jack' and serialno!='2'
> > order by name,serialno;
> >
> > I don't think this will work under all circumstances.
> >
> > Any help appreciated. Thanks.
>
> I think using OFFSET 1 and LIMIT 2 with an appropiate WHERE clause
> will get you want you want. If you are going to keep stepping through
> the list, you might want to use a cursor.

With cursors is it possible to set the cursor to the location of a
particular row (found by another select query).  The documentation say
you can set at a particular row number, but I would like to move the
cursor to the same record as found by another query (same index, same
fields).

От: Bruno Wolff III
Сообщение: Re: find next in an index
От: elein@varlena.com (elein)
Сообщение: Re: regular expressions in query