Re: DB Error: connect failed [SOLVED]

От Rodolfo J. Paiz
Тема Re: DB Error: connect failed [SOLVED]
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
> Dunno about phpPgAdmin, but psql defaults to connecting through a Unix
> socket, which doesn't have either of the above risks.

I *thought* I was connecting to the Unix socket, so of course such a
thing should not have been a problem. I went back to the DSN array I had
written after your message and (after a little trial and error) figured
out to add "'protocol' => 'unix'" as one of the values in the array. The
final (working) DSN array and connect process was:

          $dsn = array('phptype'  => 'pgsql',
                       'username' => 'simpatic_www',
                       'password' => 'gottago',
                       'protocol' => 'unix',
                       'hostspec' => 'localhost',
                       'database' => 'simpatic_logbook'
          );
          $options = array('debug'       => 2,
                           'portability' => DB_PORTABILITY_ALL
          );
          $db =& DB::connect($dsn, $options);
          if (DB::isError($db)) { die($db->getMessage()); }

The connect *appears* to have worked fine, since I then get a page with
no database output (I've made no queries) but also no errors. So I'm
guessing the connect is done... thanks!

Of course, everything immediately broke again when I tried a query.  But
after a little time with the PEAR manual, and googling for bizarre
errors I would never have expected, the thing works. I have a simple
query that returns one value, but it's working! I now have only two
small details that pique my curiosity:

  1. What is "debug=2" and do I need it? Happy to RTFM... URL to FM?

  2. What is the significance of "=&" instead of "="? I can't find an
     explanation anywhere.

My thanks to everyone who has helped me get over this first hump in my
PostgreSQL usage.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@simpaticus.com>