Re: ARC patent

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: ARC patent
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 12:15 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> We have just admitted that we knowingly may infringe upon
> an IBM patent. That really is a different thing than,
> "We have some really smart people that came up with something,
> "like" this other technology".

The code is clear that it implements the "Adaptive Replacement Cache",
which is an algorithm proposed by IBM; the code probably references some
IBM papers on the topic -- and if not, discussions of ARC on -hackers
certainly do. I don't see how there could be any reasonable grounds for
arguing that, prior to this thread, we just "came up with something
really, really similar".

-Neil