Re: pgdump

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: pgdump
Список pgsql-hackers
> A little further down-thread there was some discussion of also allowing
> wild cards in the individual switches, eg
>
>     -t 's1.*'
>
> (This would differ from '-n s1' in that a -t switch would restrict the
> dump to tables only, whereas -n should take every sort of object in the
> selected schema.)

Is this actually useful behavior? My gut feeling is "no", but I'm open
to debate. ISTM that the combination of "-n" and "-t" achieves a pretty
wide swath of the desired functionality. Considering that the various
combinations of these switches is already quite complex, I think it
would be wise to avoid additional, unnecessary complications. Plus it
avoids the need to play games with escaping the wildcard from the shell.

> * what about quoting/downcasing rules?

If we don't implement wildcards, I don't believe we will need to change
the present behavior of the "-n" and "-t" switches WRT case conversion
etc.

-Neil