Re: Please release (was Re: nodeAgg perf tweak)

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: Please release (was Re: nodeAgg perf tweak)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 19:34 +0100, simon@2ndquadrant.com wrote:
> I regard performance testing as an essential part of the
> release process of any performance critical software. Most earlier beta
> releases were fixing functional problems and now the focus has moved to
> performance related issues.

I don't agree. There is an important difference between fixing a
performance regression and making a performance improvement. If a change
made in 8.0 resulted in a significant, unintentional performance
regression, I think there would be grounds for fixing it (assuming the
fix was fairly noninvasive). The aggregate patch addresses a problem
that has existed for a long time (7.4 at the least); I don't see the
need to delay 8.0 to fix it.

-Neil