Re: [HACKERS] psql -f inconsistency with "copy from stdin"

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] psql -f inconsistency with "copy from stdin"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Tom Lane wrote:
>> IMHO any proposal that requires changing pg_dump is a non-starter,
>> because it will fail when people try to load 6.5 or earlier dumps
>> into 7.0.  But fortunately, pg_dump doesn't use \copy ...

> I'm confused here...why would "any proposal that requires changing pg_dump
> is a non-starter"?  How does changing pg_dump in v7.0 affect pg_dump in
> v6.5?

Because people will be using 6.5 pg_dump to make dump scripts that they
will then try to load into 7.0 with 7.0's psql.  If we change the way
that COPY FROM STDIN is interpreted, we risk trouble with those scripts.

I like Peter's suggestion of defining "\copy from stdin" to mean
"read from psql's stdin".  That would leave the SQL command COPY FROM
STDIN for the other case where the data is in-line in the script.

Сообщение: RE: [HACKERS] BlowAwayRelationBuffers
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] BlowAwayRelationBuffers]