Re: rules

От Daniel Martini
Тема Re: rules
Список pgsql-general

>          table4.rate,
>          table5.value,
>          table5."name"
>      FROM
>     (inner joins)
>      Where
>     primary = number
> )
>
> which i would like to make into a rule if possible

First of all, you should fix your query. Problems I see:
- You're inserting more values than you specified fields.
- On postgresql you don't have to use the
  insert into foo (...) values (select ...)
  construct, you can instead say:
  insert into foo (...) select ...
For the rule stuff:
- do you want it to happen on update, on delete or on insert? You should
  be clear about that.

You might want to read Bruce Momjian's book "PostgreSQL - Introduction
and Concepts" (available in your book store or on the web - I leave it
up to you to google it up or to order it). It's a really fine book for
beginners and helped me a lot to learn how to write rules and do other
stuff with postgresql.

Regards,
Daniel