RE: SELECT performance drop v 6.5 -> 7.0.3

От Creager, Robert S
Тема RE: SELECT performance drop v 6.5 -> 7.0.3
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I've a question.  I have often seen the 'trick' of dropping an index,
importing large amounts of data, then re-creating the index to speed the
import.  The obvious problem with this is during the time from index drop to
the index finishing re-creation, a large db is going to be essentially
worthless to queries which use those indexes.  I know nothing about the
backend and how it does 'stuff', so I may be asking something absurd here.
Why, when using transactions, are indexes updated on every insert?  It seems
logical (to someone who doesn't know better), that the indexes could be
updated on the COMMIT.

Please don't hurt me too bad...
Rob

Robert Creager