Re: pg_ctl telling only half the truth

От Markus Bertheau
Тема Re: pg_ctl telling only half the truth
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
=D0=92 =D0=9F=D1=82=D0=BD, 05.11.2004, =D0=B2 16:46, Tom Lane =D0=BF=D0=B8=
=D1=88=D0=B5=D1=82:
> Markus Bertheau <twanger@bluetwanger.de> writes:
> > Guess what happend here:
> > [bertheau@dicaprio pg80]$ bin/pg_ctl -D data -l log start
> > postmaster starting
> > [bertheau@dicaprio pg80]$=20
>=20
> > No, postmaster was not starting - it was configured to listen on the
> > default port - and there was already another postmaster running on 5432.
> > This information was of course in the log file, but pg_ctl should have
> > said that the postmaster did not start successfully.
>=20
> It did not say that the postmaster had started; it said it was starting,
> which was true.  If you want it to wait around to verify whether the
> postmaster started OK, use the -w switch.

Why is the -w switch not on by default then? (I guess this also answers
the question why it is there at all - i.e. why you have to be able to
not wait for the postmaster to start.)

Thanks

--=20
Markus Bertheau <twanger@bluetwanger.de>