Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
David Christensen <david@endpoint.com> writes:
> Should the error messages between the SHOW cases and the others be
> consistent ("ERROR: unsupported command" or similar)?  It's worth
> noting that this is only in the psql client, but we could simulate the
> ereport output from the server.

No.  Not unless you want to simulate it to the point of honoring the
different verbosity settings, which would greatly expand the size of the
patch.  We do not try to make the response to "help" look like an error
message, and I don't see the value of doing so here either.

(I think Florian's real problem with the proposed output is that it's
ugly, which I agree with --- the formatting is strange.)