Re: disk performance benchmarks

От Jeffrey W. Baker
Тема Re: disk performance benchmarks
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 02:39, Michael Paesold wrote:
> Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
>
> > Current issue:
> >
> > A dual 64-bit Opteron 244 machine with 8GB main memory, two 4-disk RAID5
> > arrays (one for database, one for xlogs).  PG's config is extremely
> > generous, and in isolated benchmarks it's very fast.
>
> It depends on the controller, but usually I would expect a better
> performance if xlogs are just on a two-disk mirror and the rest of the disks
> for data (6 splindles instead of 4 then).
>
> I don't think RAID5 is a benefit for xlogs.

All these replies are really interesting, but the point is not that my
RAIDs are too slow, or that my CPUs are too slow.  My point is that, for
long stretches of time, by database doesn't come anywhere near using the
capacity of the hardware.  And I think that's odd and would like to
config it to "false".

-jwb